Monday, November 12, 2012

Der Zweite Monat

Second month in Korea;

So this starts the month where I actually start doing things. My first month of being here could very well become my favorite month, because I was doing so many things and teaching was pretty easy. The weather was perfect, I was exploring my new town (Gwangyang, 광양) and found out that I have this BOMB-ASS CHINESE RESTAURANT in front of my house. Like literally, right in front of my house. I go there almost every week, sometimes multiple times per week. About a seven-minute walk from my place is the town's biggest intersection, with an incredibly large bridge for pedestrians that need to cross the road without the stress of streetlights. My friends that live near me affectionately refer to this bridge as the  Spider Bridge, due to its many arms and legs, and central "hub" area to cross. Despite what sounds like a busy area of town, my town is still small enough to not have big franchise supermarkets like HomePlus, or eMart (basically Wal*Marts and Super Target). All in all, my town is about the size of Mizzou's campus, including the stadiums and the "off campus, on campus" engineering buildings on Providence. It's pretty small, but I'm enjoying every bit of it.

Taking a 40-minute bus ride to the northeast lies the small village of Jinsang and within that, my happy, joyful school known as Jinsang Elementary. Every day I come to school I see a large, beautiful mountain overlooking my school from the north, and hear nature at its finest while I work in the library. The TaLK scholars around me tend to have "English" villages at their school, an entire section of the school dedicated to learning English, while my school must use the library as the main area of English learning. Even though my school isn't as well equipped as others, the school works perfectly fine without an English village, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

i wonder how many people will even be reading this

No comments:

Post a Comment